Nope, I really meant that some unlocked devices will work fine on T-Mobile's
voice network but T-Mobile is blocking the data service on them. I have one
such device, the Huawei S7, a 7" Android phone/tablet. When it first came out a
little over a year ago people were using it on T-Mobile's data network, then
one day a few months later it just quit working. For a time T-Mobile was also
blocking data on jailbroken/unlocked iPhones (I have one of those, too), but
then thought better of it and reversed that policy. I think the same may hold
true for AT&T, but it's prices are outrageous anyway.

I'm not up to date on this topic, I just wanted to warn international visitors
that swapping out SIM cards may not work as smoothly here as it does, say, in
Europe where I've had really good experiences. I've pretty much given up on
AT&T and T-Mobile for prepaid data in the US. I was able to get a good deal on
a Virgin Mobile MiFi hotspot and that's what I use when I'm travelling for more
than a couple of days and wifi is not readily available. But that's probably
not a cost-effective solution for short-term international visitors here.

Mike