We are very happy with Confluence at UCLA. It supports the wiki metaphor of a pool of labeled/tagged documents with a hierarchical directory-like structure, so you don't have to choose between the two models. Although I usually edit pages in the wiki markup view, many of our users prefer the very friendly gui.

Academic pricing is 50% of the regular license for a local version. If you want to avoid the effort of administering your own server, you can sign up for Altassian's hosted service called On-Demand, although I'm not sure if the discount applies.

--Gary

--
-- Gary Thompson
-- Development Supervisor