On Dec 7, 2012, at 3:25 PM, Dan Chudnov <daniel.chud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Over the years several regional code4lib groups formed and some wanted to
> have their own lists.  When such suggestions have been made on this list,
> those suggestions have often been resisted, because of the success we had
> originally collapsing (combining?) people who wanted to talk about code and
> libraries into one big list.  Maybe some resistance to seeing a
> code4lib4women activity broken out is similar to that.  I feel that
> resistance; maybe I'm not the only oneā€¦
>
> I'm all for people creating new social structures to move themselves forward
> doing it however they see fit.  The internet is a big place, and there's room
> for more.  In this case, though, I hope it will be an "and" operation, not an
> exclusive "or".  I would be happy to hear that a new group formed and that
> it's going well.  I would be disappointed if people in that group ended up
> moving away from this one big group.  It happens, and I'd get over it, sure,
> but it'd still be disappointing.  We gain something by gathering together
> like we have here.  It's not exclusive, nor should it be.  But code4lib has
> added so much to me and my work that I know how much I stand to lose if we do
> not also keep working to stick together, however difficult that can be
> sometimes.

Dan said it much better than I ever could, and I agree with him. I don't really
think there is a need for an additional "social structures", but no one is
stopping anybody else from creating one. I really like the idea of "and" not
"or". Personally, I believe we need fewer lists, not more.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
University of Notre Dame