Google's API terms of service prohibit the caching of API results for longer
than their cache header:

<snip>
Prohibitions on Content Unless expressly permitted by the content owner or by
applicable law, you agree that you will not, and will not permit your end users
to, do the following with content returned from the APIs:
Scrape, build databases or otherwise create permanent copies of such content,
or keep cached copies longer than permitted by the cache header;
</snip>

Google API requests usually return with a 7 day cache header set. So, in
theory, there should be logic to clear the cache on a regular basis. However,
I'm not sure how often Google enforces their API terms...

I'd imagine other API services have similar, or perhaps more restrictive, terms
as well. That's why it was decided we're not to use Amazon to for cover images.

Also, check with publishers for artwork. Elsevier, for example, provides cover
images for journals which can be used in your catalog.
http://www.elsevier.com/journal-pricing/journal-cover-images

We use Google APIs and publisher provided images to provide cover art for our
catalog. It works pretty well for popular titles, but falls short for the
majority of our holdings.

-David

--
David Lee  (608) 890-1912
Shared Development Group - UW Madison General Library System