On Aug 8, 2014, at 10:13 PM, Riley Childs wrote:

> Ok, so you want to access LC data to get Dewey decimal numbers? You need to
> use a z39.50 client to pull the record, you can do it with marc edit but it
> is labor intensive.  You would need to roll your own solution for this or use
> classify.oclc.org to get book info (this doesn't give you API access). Your
> best bet is classify.oclc.org.
>
> That aside:
> Honestly you might be better off running with something like Koha, writing a
> home brew library system is no cake walk, trust me I know from 2 years of
> experience trying to code one and ultimately moving to koha. Koha can be run
> on a VPS (Digital Ocean is what i would use) or on an old PC in the corner. I
> am in a situation similar to yours if you want to contact me off list I can
> give you some advice.

I 100% agree -- you'd be better off going with something intended for personal
libraries (eg Delicious Library) and give it a dedicated machine before trying
to roll your own.

oss4lib hasn't been updated in a while, but Lyrasis is maintaining foss4lib.org
as a catalog of free & open source library software, and has a 'ILS feature
comparison tool' which lists feature differences between Koha and Evergreen:

        http://ils.foss4lib.org/

-Joe