My boss has directed me to start looking into producing a phone app for the library, or better yet finding a way to integrate with the existing campus-wide app. Could I pick the list's brains?

1) Is there some tolerably decent cross-platform app language, or am I going to be learning 3 different languages for iOS, Android, and Windows phone? I've dabbled in all kinds of things, but my bread-and-butter work has been PHP on a LAMP stack. Apps aren't written in that, so new language time.

2) The library's selection of mobile devices consists of 2 iPads and a Galaxy tablet. We don't have phones for testing. My personal phone is a 12-year-old flip phone which doesn't run apps. Can I get by with emulators? What are some good ones? The budget for the project is zero, so I don't think dedicated testing devices are in the cards unless I upgrade my own phone, which I probably ought to anyway.

3) What are some best practices for library app design? We were thinking the key functionality would be personal account management (what have I got checked out, renew my stuff, etc), hours, lab availability, search the catalog, and ask a librarian. Anything missing? Too much stuff?

Will Martin

Web Services Librarian
Chester Fritz Library

P.S. I sent this a couple days ago and wondered why it hadn't shown up -- only to realize I accidently sent it to j...@code4lib.org rather than the actual list serv address. Whoops, embarrassing!