If your *institutional* email address is not on their whitelist (not sure
if it is limited to subscribing ones, they don't say) you cannot register
using the signup form, instead you can only request an account by briefly
explaining why you want one. Weird, because they'd have potentially learned
more about me if they just let me put my gmail address in the signup form.

I don't get it - can all users download public domain content? If they give
me an account, will I be indistinguishable from a subscribing institution?
If not, why the extra hoops?