>> However, the digitizing agency cannot dictate any copyright
>>restrictions on the digitized copies once released to the public

The digital objects have not, and as far as I understand, cannot be made
available to the public if digitized as part of the google books digitization
project.  Most institutions got very limited use, and generally these were tied
to their specific, immediate, communities.  Though, with that said each
institution has slightly different terms.  For what it's worth, the research
center does not make the digital copies available for download -- it provides
tools for working with data in aggregate (worksets) and provides a proof of
concept environment demonstrating the feasibility of creating a secured data
repository with I believe the long-term goal of providing data mining for the
entire hathitrust resources (both within and outside of the public domain).
But even as it stands now, the tool has become a fantastic teaching tool when
talking to instructors and graduate students looking for large data sets to
work with, that also includes some pretty interesting research algori!
 thms for working with the data.

--tr