On 23 March 2016, Cornel Darden Jr. wrote:

Seems like overkill, why a login to access the library's website?

Indeed, but once you're logged in, though, to access some subscription resource, there's a lot the system could show you.

At the university where I work we don't do any customization on the library's web site, but we do provide a feed of personalized links into the course management system. Students have to log in to get into Moodle, and then when they're looking at a course page Moodle hands over the course code to us, and we send back a box with:

- basic catalogue search
- links to relevant subject guides
- links to most relevant eresources
- links to course guide (if there is one)
- links to reserves (if there are some)
- link to subject librarian

The guides (LibGuides) are all tagged to match faculties and programs: the Biology guide is tagged sc/biol, so we know it's relevant to all course in the SC(ience) faculty and BIOL(ogy) program. Librarians are tagged similarly in a basic spreadsheet.

We inject this into the course management system and the student portal, but don't make use of these things on our own site, even though students end up logging in a lot to get to journals and databases. We should!

Bill
--
William Denton ↔  Toronto, Canada ↔  https://www.miskatonic.org/