We implemented personalization on our website in 2012. An early presentation on
that project can be found at
http://www.slideshare.net/ianchan/building-a-usercentric-website-by-integrating-course-enrollment-data.

A more complete write-up is available at
http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/full/10.1108/LHT-07-2013-0096.

Here’s a more recent screenshot of the home page after user login.
https://www.diigo.com/item/image/qxh8/v7ng?size=o.

We’re largely a commuter campus and close to 70% of traffic is from off-campus.
Also, student access is quite high in the evenings and on weekends, much of it
from off-campus. All of that off-campus traffic requires login to access our
e-resources. So we ask users to consider logging-in first since they will have
to later in the research process.

Our next steps are to integrate data from Alma/Primo/ILLiad
(check-outs/fines/ILL requests/citation lists/saved queries) and tie it all
together with Shibboleth.

Somewhat related: I’m at a mobile app conference and there’s a lot of interest
in personas and personalization.

Best regards,

Ian

Ian Chan