Text is an interface that mostly mimics strings, but it's part of a group
of interfaces I use to build my GUIs, not something
you could just pull out and plug into your applications.  You have to take
the whole village, and I haven't engineered the
villiage for export and general use.

The key things are that Text has string-like methods such as "append" and
"getWidth", and interfaces with a canvas proxy
that supports things like"draw".  I produce widgets that look like this
using Text objects, using essentially the same logic that
was once based on strings.