stojkomilos commented on PR #515:
URL: https://github.com/apache/datasketches-cpp/pull/515#issuecomment-5477218373

   replying to @leerho 
   
   `I'm not sure I understand the motivation for this.` - As I explained above, 
the motivation is that the compacted sketches don't take more space than 
nominal_size elements, and also that the behaviour matches the union get_result.
   
   `Compared to the frequency of updates, obtaining a sketch in its compact 
form is normally far less frequent. Yet you complain that it is slow. That 
implies to me you must be doing this operation frequently. I am curious, why? 
Are you keeping a large number of reduced accuracy sketches around? ` - Yes, I 
am doing the compaction frequently, and I store lots of these compacted 
sketches at the same time. The reason is something I can not disclose as it is 
specific to the company I am working for.
   
   `If you subsequently merge these, your merge accuracy will be reduced also.` 
- This I am not doing, although thanks for telling me this about the accuracy 
reduction.
   
   `I'm not convinced that "getResult()" makes any sense for the UpdateSketch, 
because the UpdateSketch itself IS the result -- for subsequent set operations 
or for obtaining the current estimate.` - alright, then I can rename it to 
something other than getResult, perhaps getCompactTrimmed() or something?
   
   TLDR - **I claim that this does have a use case (proven by a example - use 
case for my company), and I can change the name to anything you want that would 
be more fitting, like getCompactTrimmed()**
   
   If you agree, can we reopen the PR?


-- 
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]

For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to