knight6236 commented on PR #10678:
URL: https://github.com/apache/seatunnel/pull/10678#issuecomment-5292185615

   @davidzollo @DanielLeens    I've added caution-boxed documentation for 
`SEATUNNEL_CLASSLOADER_DEEP_CLEAN` (one in `docs/en`, one in `docs/zh`), 
matching the precedent shape of `engine-jar-storage-mode.md` and 
`rest-api-v1.md`.
   
   I want to be clear: I'm adding this out of respect for the community's 
convention, not because I find the technical arguments raised above fully 
persuasive. Two specific evidence points that were cited don't hold up under 
code inspection, and I think it's worth recording them so the reasoning stays 
on the record:
   
   **The WARN log is not a discovery channel.** The claim that the `WARN` log 
at `DefaultClassLoaderService.java:337-343` is "a bigger invitation than a docs 
page" because it "fires mid-failure and hands the operator two specific 
`--add-opens` flags" doesn't hold: that log only prints inside the 
`deepCleanEnabled=true` code path, on reflection failure. In other words, an 
operator only sees it *after* they have already opted in — it's a post-adoption 
troubleshooting signal, not a pre-adoption discovery path. The only 
pre-adoption discovery path is reading the source, and the inline comments 
there already carry the full set of caveats (Phase 1/3 framing, JDK 8 
global-useCaches trade-off, both `--add-opens` flags). So the "informed docs 
paragraph vs. uninformed log message" comparison doesn't apply here.
   
   **The two cited precedents are a different category.** 
`connector-jar-storage-enable` and `rest-api.enabled` are `seatunnel.yaml` 
configuration items — user-facing deployment decisions. 
`SEATUNNEL_CLASSLOADER_DEEP_CLEAN` is a JVM `-D` system property. The category 
analogy isn't exact; a `-D` system property is closer to an internal escape 
hatch than to a deployment-mode switch.
   
   I'm raising these not to be stubborn — the docs have been added as 
requested. I'm raising them so that "the docs were added" isn't later read as 
implicit endorsement of those two arguments, and so that the precedent for 
future default-off `-D` system properties isn't set on a category-mismatched 
basis. The doc itself is intentionally minimal and uses the same `:::caution 
warn` framing as the two existing pages.
   
   Thanks again for the thorough discussion — it's given me a deeper 
appreciation for how this community collaborates.


-- 
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]

For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]

Reply via email to