Gang,

 With hadoop-2.0.4-alpha released, I'd like 2.0.4 to be the final of our
hadoop-2.x alphas. We have made lots of progress on hadoop-2.x and I believe we
are nearly there, exciting times!

 As we have discussed previously, I hope to do a final push to stabilize
hadoop-2.x, release a hadoop-2.0.5-beta in the next month or so; and then
declare hadoop-2.1 as stable this summer after a short period of intensive
testing.

 With that in mind, I really want to make a serious push to lock down APIs and
wire-protocols for hadoop-2.0.5-beta. Thus, we can confidently support
hadoop-2.x in a compatible manner in the future. So, it's fine to add new
features, but please ensure that all APIs are frozen for hadoop-2.0.5-beta

 Vinod is helping out on the YARN/MR side and has tagged a number of final
changes (including some the final API incompatibilities) we'd like to push in
before we call hadoop-2.x as ready to be supported (Target Version set to
2.0.5-beta):
 http://s.apache.org/target-hadoop-2.0.5-beta
 Thanks Vinod! (Note some of the sub-tasks of umbrella jiras may not be tagged,
but their necessity is implied).

 Similarly on HDFS side, can someone please help out by tagging features,
bug-fixes, protocol/API changes etc.? This way we can ensure HDFS APIs &
protocols are locked down too - I'd really appreciate it!

thanks,
Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy