Hey all,

This one started as an innocuous thread of enabling JDK7 on trunk and now it
seems like (haven't still finished reading the entire thing, and I started a
while ago) it has become a full blown proposal on 2.x, 3.x and 4.x releases.
Some of us haven't been tracking this (at least me and a few others who
indicated offline as such) assuming this is only about letting Jenkins run
JDK7, but it has the potential to impact all future work.

I propose we fork this thread into a new one which clarifies the topic clearly
for others to follow too.

Thanks,
+Vinod

On Jun 23, 2014, at 1:53 PM, sanjay Radia <san...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2014, at 8:01 AM, Andrew Wang <andrew.w...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> This is why I'd like to keep my original proposal on the table: keep going
>> with branch-2 in the near term, while working towards a JDK8-based Hadoop 3
>> by April next year. It doesn't need to be a big bang release either. I'd be
>> delighted if we could rolling upgrade from one to the other. I just didn't
>> want to rule out the inclusion of some very compelling feature outright.
>> Trust me though, I'd be the first person to ask about compatibility if such
>> a feature does come up.
>

> Given your above statement  on compatibility (such as rolling upgrades),  it
> should be fine for the JDK8-based-Hadoop-release to not be 3.0 and instead
> merely be 2.x? Or do you have any incompatible changes to Hadoop protocol or
> APIs in mind during the same time period?
>
> sanjay
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE