On 20 June 2014 17:01, Andrew Wang <andrew.w...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the discussion so far. I talked with some of our other
> teams and thought about the issue some more.
>
> Regarding branch-2, we can't do much because of compatibility. Dropping
> support for a JDK is supposed to happen in a major release. I think we all
> understand this though, so it's not really under discussion.

...although we can just rename "hadoop 2.6" as "hadoop 3.0" and make that
the java 7
switch.,

> Regarding trunk, I think that leapfrogging to JDK8 is the right move. JDK7
> is EOL April next year, so it'd be better to avoid going through this pain
> twice so soon. Developer momentum also seems very strong behind JDK8
> because of all the shiny new features, so I think we'll see quick adoption.
> We also need some time to clean up APIs and I'm sure people have big,
> incompatible project ideas floating around they'd like to get in.
>

> With the JDK7 EOL in mind, we need a JDK8-based 3.0 release by mid next
> year. Since I have a strong interest in all these things, I'd like to
> volunteer as release manager for this beast. This means, yep, I'll wrangle
> the builds, worry about compat, bump lib versions, and all those other fun
> tasks. There's clearly a lot to discuss logistically (let's take that to a
> different thread), but this feels like the right way forward to me.
>
> Best,
> Andrew

I feel the appeal of a jump to java 8, but also fear that it will postpone
that release even more.

If we had a java 7 flag today, we could think -as Raymie proposed- about
having a hadoop-only-runs-on-java7 release relatively easily. There's no
technical cost to "migrate" to java7, as it is effectively the java version
hadoop is running on. All we would be doing is documenting the fact

In contrast, even making sure the entire Hadoop stack runs on Java 8 is a
major undertaking -which I know, as TWILL-82 shows that it isn't widely
tested. That's making sure it works -not even the big project ideas and any
java 8 migration.

which is something that worries me here "  big, incompatible project ideas
floating around they'd like to get in."

There's a risk that this becomes an opportunity for everything to go in, it
ends up taking too long and being pushed out, Hadoop 2.x frozen in java 6
mode for its code and all its dependencies, for at least another year
-which is what is being proposed here.

-steve

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE