From: Karthik Kambatla [mailto:ka...@cloudera.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2014 7:44 AM
To: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org; hdfs-...@hadoop.apache.org;
mapreduce-...@hadoop.apache.org; yarn-...@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] Migrate from svn to git for source control?

Hi folks,

From what I hear, a lot of devs use the git mirror for development/reviews and
use subversion primarily for checking code in. I was wondering if it would make
more sense just to move to git. In addition to subjective liking of git, I see
the following advantages in our workflow:

   1. Feature branches - it becomes easier to work on them and keep
   rebasing against the latest trunk.
   2. Cherry-picks between branches automatically ensures the exact same
   commit message and tracks the lineage as well.
   3. When cutting new branches and/or updating maven versions etc., it
   allows doing all the work locally before pushing it to the main branch.
   4. Opens us up to potentially using other code-review tools. (Gerrit?)
   5. It is just more convenient.

I am sure this was brought up before in different capacities. I believe the
support for git in ASF is healthy now and several downstream projects have
moved. Again, from what I hear, ASF INFRA folks make the migration process
fairly easy.

What do you all think?

Thanks
Karthik