> On 12 May 2016, at 17:57, Chris Nauroth <cnaur...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> I'm in favor of making a statement in the compatibility guidelines that
> there is no guarantee of stability or backwards-compatibility for
> toString() output.  If a proposed patch introduces new dependencies on a
> stable toString() output, such as for UI display or object serialization,
> then I'd consider -1'ing it and instead asking that the logic move to a
> different method that can provide that guarantee, i.e. toStableString().
> There are further comments justifying this on HADOOP-13028 and HDFS-9732.
>
> --Chris Nauroth

+1

- We now need to be rigorous about using a specific method for those use cases
where we offer guarantees of stability. Maybe making this an interface
"StableString" with the relevant method can help manage this
- we're going to need to see where there is existing tool code which logs
toString() values and move them to explicitly stable code. How best to do that?