Steve,

You can be strict & ruthless about the timelines. Anything that doesn’t get in
by mid-September, as was originally planned, can move to the next release -
whether it is feature work on branches or feature work on trunk.

The problem I see here is that code & branches being worked on for a year are
now (apparently) close to being done and we are telling them to hold for 7 more
months - this is not a reasonable ask..

If you are advocating for a 3.1 plan, I’m sure one of these branch ‘owners’ can
volunteer. But this is how you get competing releases and split bandwidth.

As for compatibility / testing etc, it seems like there is a belief that the
current ‘scoped’ features are all tested well in these areas and so adding more
is going to hurt the release. There is no way this is the reality, trunk has so
many features that have been landing for years, the only way we can
collectively attempt towards making this stable is by getting as many parties
together as possible, each verifying stuff that they need. Not by excluding
specific features.

+Vinod