Glad to see the discussion continued in my absence :)

>From a release management perspective, it's *extremely* reasonable to block
the inclusion of new features a month from the planned release date. A
typical software development lifecycle includes weeks of feature freeze and
weeks of code freeze. It is no knock on any developer or any feature to say
that we should not include something in 3.0.0.

I've been very open and clear about the goals, schedule, and scope of 3.0.0
over the last year plus. The point of the extended alpha process was to get
all our features in during alpha, and the alpha merge window has been open
for a year. I'm unmoved by arguments about how long a feature has been
worked on. None of these were not part of the original 3.0.0 scope, and our
users have been waiting even longer for big-ticket 3.0 items like JDK8 and
HDFS EC that were part of the discussed scope.

I see that two VOTEs have gone out since I was out. I still plan to follow
the proposal in my original email. This means I'll cut branch-3 and
branch-3.0, and move trunk to 4.0.0 before these VOTEs end. This will open
up development for Hadoop 3.1.0 and 4.0.0.

I'm reaching out to the lead contributor of each of these features
individually to discuss. We need to close on this quickly, and email is too
low bandwidth at this stage.

Best,
Andrew