bq. I don't think it's a lot to ask that feature leads shoot an email to
the release manager of their target version. DISCUSS emails right before a
proposed merge VOTE are way too late, it ends up being a fire drill where
we need to scramble on many fronts.

Yes, I have been thinking about this too. Based on what I have observed,
[DISCUSS] is more of a late-stage communication typically just like 8-10
days before the [VOTE] goes out. Most the leads send out [DISCUSS] emails
when the feature is extremely close to completion. So it seems to me that
there is an inherent hesitation in sending out [DISCUSS] emails when things
are not close to completion, so the Release Manager does not hear about
these early on.

Perhaps we want to add another step like [HEADS-UP] which goes out to at
least the Release Manager and known stakeholders or perhaps even the entire
dev community well before [DISCUSS].

The  [HEADS-UP] could be a very simple note that basically says we are
still working on this but we wish to aim for so-and-so release. It could go
out as soon as release idea is floated but perhaps no later than 7-8 weeks
before planned release date. [HEADS-UP] indicates that despite
contributors' best efforts, there exists a possibility that that feature
may not finish in time to make it into the release but at least the RM is
aware of the intentions and can track these.

Perhaps a time frame like the following may be good to follow:
[HEADS-UP]: typically at least 2 months before release date or as early as
anyone wants to communicate to RM.
[DISCUSS]: approx 4-6 weeks before release date
[VOTE]: closes before 2 (or 3?) weeks before release date

While I do think some timeframes like these should become the norm, we may
not want to be too rigidly pedantic as well. It may be a good idea to keep
ourselves open to making exceptions on a per case basis.

thanks
Vrushali