Thanks Vinod for staring this,

I'm also leaning towards the plan (A):

* (A)    -- Make 2.9.x the last minor release off branch-2    -- Have a
maintenance release that bridges 2.9 to 3.x    -- Continue to make more
maintenance releases on 2.8 and 2.9 as necessary*

The only part I'm not sure is having a separate bridge release other than
3.x.

For the bridge release, Steve's suggestion sounds more doable:

** 3.1+ for new features*
** fixes to 3.0.x &, where appropriate, 2.9, esp feature stabilisation*
** whoever puts their hand up to do 2.x releases deserves support in
testing &c*
** If someone makes a really strong case to backport a feature from 3.x to
branch-2 and its backwards compatible, I'm not going to stop them. It's
just once 3.0 is out and a 3.1 on the way, it's less compelling*

This makes community can focus on 3.x releases and fill whatever gaps of
migrating from 2.x to 3.x.

Best,
Wangda