On 15 Nov 2017, at 09:37, Junping Du
<j...@hortonworks.com<mailto:j...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:

2. From recent classpath isolation work, I was surprised to find out that many
of our downstream projects (HBase, Tez, etc.) are still consuming many
non-public, server side APIs of Hadoop, not saying the projects/products
outside of hadoop ecosystem. Our API compatibility test does not (and should
not) cover these cases and situations. We can claim that new major release
shouldn't be responsible for these private API changes. But given the
possibility of breaking existing applications in some way, users could be very
hesitated to migrate to 3.x release if there is no safe solution to roll back.

The problem here is that it has historically been impossible to write a yarn
app without using APIs marked as private. I'll cite UGI as an example, bit if
you look at the distributed shell example, it's happy calliing things like
NMClientAsyncImpl. We lack the moral high ground to tell other projects off