Thanks Kai for calling out this feature/improvement for attention and Andrew
for comments.

While I agree that maintenance release should focus on important bug fix only,
I doubt we have strict rules to disallow any features/improvements to land on
maint release especially when those are small footprint or low impact on
existing code/features. In practice, we indeed has 77 new features/improvements
in latest 2.7.3 and 2.7.4 release.

Back to HADOOP-14964, I did a quick check and it looks like case here belongs
to self-contained improvement that has very low impact on existing code base,
so I am OK with the improvement get landed on branch-2.8 in case it is well
reviewed and tested.

However, as RM of branch-2.8, I have two concerns to accept it in our 2.8.3
release:

1. Timing - as I mentioned in beginning, the main purpose of 2.8.3 are for
several critical bug fixes and we should target to release it very soon - my
current plan is to cut RC out within this week inline with waiting for 3.0.0
vote closing. Can this improvement be well tested against branch-2.8.3 within
this strictly timeline? It seems a bit rush unless we have strong commitment on
test plan and activities in such a tight time.

2. Upgrading - I haven't heard we settle down the plan of releasing this
feature in 2.9.1 release - though I saw some discussions are going on at
HADOOP-14964. Assume 2.8.3 is released ahead of 2.9.1 and it includes this
improvement, then users consuming this feature/improvement have no 2.9 release
to upgrade or forcefully upgrade with regression. We may need a better upgrade
story here.

Pls let me know what you think. Thanks!

Thanks,

Junping