I'm sorry, I literally don't understand what you've written. What do clicks
on github have to do with merges?

Are you talking about git bisect, where one would first identify the branch
where the error was introduced, then run a second regression over the
feature branch? With similar semantics for blame?

Again, I'd rather have the history of the branch, with rebases prior to
merge to ensure that feature branches don't create particularly complicated
graphs.

Perhaps I haven't understood the problem you're solving. The thread started
with confusion over dates. Is that the problem? Or that rebases create
intermediate states that never existed on the branch (due to conflicts),
and that complicates analysis? -C