branch-2 is the JDK 7 branch, but for a long time I (and presumably others)
have relied on jenkins to keep us honest by doing that build and test

right now, we can't do that any more, due to jdk7 bugs which will never be
fixed by oracle, or at least, not in a public release.

If we can still do the compile in java 7 language and link to java 7 JDK, then
that bit of the release is good -then java 8 can be used for that test

Ultimately, we're going to be forced onto java 8 just because all our
dependencies have moved onto it, and some CVE will force us to move.

At which point, I think its time to declare branch-2 dead. It's had a great
life, but trying to keep java 7 support alive isn't sustainable. Not just in
this testing, but
cherrypicking patches back gets more and more difficult -branch-3 has moved on
in both use of java 8 language, and in the codebase in general.