On 2 Feb 2019, at 00:57, Konstantin Shvachko
<shv.had...@gmail.com<mailto:shv.had...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Just to make sure we are on the same page, as the subject of this thread is too
generic and confusing.
The proposal is to move branch-2 Jenkins builds such as precommit to run tests
on openJDK-8.
We do not want to break Java 7 source compatibility. The sources and releases
will still depend on Java 7.
We don't see test failures discussed in HADOOP-15711 when we run them locally
with Oracle Java 7.

Thanks,
--Konst

Given the tests aren't working today, the risk that an openjdk 8 test run hides
a problem which would show up on openjdk 7 has to consider that at least
openjdk8 will run the tests.

One thing I would like to be confident is that at least the compile phase of
all the source (including generated source) is on jdk7, and its only the test
run which switches JVM. Can we do that?