Well,

With the "handler" approach CLI would become a kind of
command controller/dispacher. Is it what we shoot for?

If you have a way to specify a handler for an option
what happens if you have several options - each with
it's own handler :-)))???

My feeling is that CLI should validate (as far as
possible) if the command line is correct (good
options/combinations of options) and give access to
the command line elements but the application specific
job should be done by the application itself using the
provided options.

Cheers,
Slawek