Since you mentioned not breaking backwards compatibility I started
working on a fresh implementation which I think is coming along very
well and I intend to contribute back to the commons.

I've uploaded JavaDocs of what progress I've made so far. I figure I'm
about 45% done not including unit tests. See the org.mcarthur.....
package:

JavaDocs for only the public interface:
http://sandy.mcarthur.org/pool/Pool-Protected/

JavaDocs including private members:
http://sandy.mcarthur.org/pool/Pool-Private/

I am interested in becoming a commiter someday.

--
Sandy McArthur

"Government big enough to supply everything you
need is big enough to take everything you have ...
The course of history shows that as a government
grows, liberty decreases." -- Thomas Jefferson