Simon Kitching <skitching <at> apache.org> writes:

> For a start, if every project were to do this, the impact on the
> Apache SVN repository would be huge.

Cocoon (maintenance branch 2.1) has currently 111 jars with about 40 MB in its
repository (+ the one for the environment [2]), we are regularly upgrading them
and it has never been seen as a problem from infrastructure team.

> I would instead prefer to see ant builds using "get" to download jars as
> needed. The maven repositories can be used as a convenient source for
> the jars, eg
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/logging/trunk/build.xml

I posted my opinion on this recently [3]:
In general I don't like the need for internet access on build time. But with Ant
it's at least better than with Maven as the build environment itself does not
get changed.

My concerns are raised after one year mess with Maven in Cocoon trunk.

Regards
Jörg

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/lib/
[2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/tools/lib/