On 08.07.2007, at 20:54, Rahul Akolkar wrote:

On 7/8/07, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 7/6/07, Phil Steitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So my proposal is that any ASF committer who wishes to become a
> commons committer just needs to make that request here on the
> commons-dev mailing list and they will granted karma for both commons
> proper and commons sandbox.  Expectation is of course that ASF
> committers joining the commons will "behave"
> (http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/JakartaCommonsEtiquette).

Obviously I'm +1 on making it easier.

Hm, I know we need active people but...

We have a lot of little code bases. Our individual component code bases don't have many committers. I think we only share a general oversight across different projects. (I think that's also what bites us when we call for release votes) So in that term I do think Commons has a different touch than the usual Apache project. We always have a higher risk of fix-and-leave type contributors I guess.

I am not sure having anyone get commit access as a rule will help us raise the number of people for the individual components. I think though that for existing Apache committers the bar should be fairly low - if it is not already. Still I personally would prefer to see a vote on it. If I have to supply a patch to an Apache project that I am not yet involved in - that's OK. I don't expect to get commit access straight away just because I have an @apache.org address. But being able to come back an say "Guys, I provided a patch and you haven't applied it within weeks. Want me to do it?" seems fair. Either it's a wake-up call "Sorry, I'll do it" or "Well, yeah ...do it! Hope you stick around" and we vote on that guy ..IMHO

Something I would rather would like to see addressed is the question of non-apache contributors becoming committers. We have small codebases compared to many other Apache projects. So essentially that means getting involved is much easier. Does that also mean going through us is the easy way to get an @apache.org address? Or are we aware of all these facts and getting committership is even harder at Commons? (Wondering: How many committer nominations from a non-apache background did we have in the past 2 years?) What about contributions to sandbox projects? Does it matter (in terms of committership) whether you contribute to something that maybe never even gets released?

Our release process has a tendency to frustrate and drive people away too. Maybe also something we could improve to have contributors be more likely to stick.

...just some RTs.

cheers
--
Torsten