Mike Moran wrote:
Ah, yes, that is a point. I suspect JNDI will be rather too much overhead for a simple host lookup, but it's worth a look. Async lookups may also still be impossible.
I don't see much overhead. The only expensive call is the service lookup. After that the performance fully depends on the implementation of the service. Some more resources:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/jndi/jndi-dns.html

I've actually already made a wrapper around the dnsjava library (quite old by now, perhaps, as it was done a year ago) so I'd rather make use of that. I'll have a look at the latest HTTPClient release to see how easy it is to do what I suggested before (accept a resolved IP address)

We are looking forward for a proposal.