Hello,
I also think that we need a support for high resultion images. But we 
should rethink if JPEG2000 and
Djatoka is the right way. What's happen with the servers if we get 1000 
requests per second and how
free is JPEG2000?

If you use instead tiles you can use tile-caches and other server 
optimisations.

So I experiment a little bit with TMS[1] and create:
http://toolserver.org/~kolossos/zoom-image/tms/
To create this tiles I use the opensource tool GDAL2tiles.[2]
The frontend is OpenLayers which we want to use in Mediawiki so or so 
for the Openstreetmap-integration project.

I also test Zoomify so if you want to compare:
http://toolserver.org/~kolossos/zoom-image/
but I think we need in the future no flash.

I'm very interested on highresolution pictures and use a panorama robot 
to create such images and would like to upload
pictures like this [3] to commons. What I want to say is that also 
normal Commons users can create Photos with 1 Gigapixel resolution.

Greetings Tim alias User:Kolossos

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tile_Map_Service
[2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDAL
[3]http://gigapan.org/gigapans/37926/


_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l

Reply via email to