hi craig,
thank you for your answer. i think the date formats to use are those in ISO 8601.

see: http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime

maybe the converter could be added to the beanutils codebase but not used by default by ConvertUtils. what do you think?

flavio

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
Quoting Flavio Tordini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

hi all,
i'm trying to set a bean property of type java.util.Date from a String value. From the docs it appears that there's no default Converter to do this. I understand I have to write my own Converter, but I'm sure that someone else must have faced the problem before me. Can someone please post the Converter?
It would be nice to have this Converter built in the BeanUtils package. If I write my own should I post it back to this list?

The reason there isn't a standard Date converter is that the string format of a
date is locale specific (for example, dd/mm/yyyy versus mm/dd/yyyy), and the
basic converter utilities have no notion of locale.

Within commons-beanutils, you could investigate using the locale-sensitive
conversion utilities instead.

flavio

Craig