What I would like to do is use a catalog.xml file to store the chain, and
add the appropriate attributes to the given command element.

i.e. <command name="EmailUser" className="com.bs.email.Emailer"
smtpServer="xyz.abc.com" .../>

In order to achieve such functionality, what would I have to do, set the
appropriate rules in the ConfigParser's Digester?

i.e.
config.getDigester().addSetProperties("/catalog/chain/command","smtpServer","smtpServer")

You don't have to change the configured digester rules at all -  just
add getters/setters as appropriate - so in your case adding
setSmtpServer() and getSmtpServer() methods to your Emailer command
and when the xml is parsed they will get called with the values you've
specified in your xml.

Ok, cool. Though is it possible for these attributes to be classes?

Thanks