From: "Abibu R. Ntahigiye" <ab...@tznic.or.tz>
Date: Wednesday, 11 April 2018 at 14:36
To: Andrew Alston <andrew.als...@liquidtelecom.com>
Cc: "members-disc...@afrinic.net" <members-disc...@afrinic.net>,
"community-discuss@afrinic.net" <community-discuss@afrinic.net>, AFRINIC Board
of Directors' List <bo...@afrinic.net>
Subject: Re: [Community-Discuss] AFRINIC and the GDPR

Dear Andrew, Members and the whole Afrinic community,

Andrew has raised a very important issue for Afrinic operations - Thanks so
much Andrew.

The Board would like to inform you that the issue was discussed within the
Board at the Afrinic 27 meeting in Lagos and the Management was tasked to work
on the issue.

The Board has also been made aware that the Mauritius Data Protection Act 2017
is already in effect and is aligned with the EU GDPR regulations.  The Board
believes that these regulations are not a barrier to publication of the WHOIS
data, and it has noted the RIPE NCC study that made such a finding.  The Board
further believes that the biggest changes required by AFRINIC are in
documenting how personal data is used, and in informing people at the time data
is collected.

The AFRINIC management will provide further updates on the issues at AIS 2018
in Senegal.
Further to the above, the Board expects to receive more insights on GDPR
related issues at the joint Boards (AfriNIC and RIPE NCC) meeting planned in
Senegal.

Kind regards