Not quite bad it’s business and economic based. Most of the BPO companies are
and have EU citizen /resident data and for the outsourcing to continue to
operate within bounds and still survive. I do not think Mauritian government
had any option than to go forward with this. Now the agreement with EU
alignment dates way back in 2006 if i recall. It was also because of EU
business operations which wanted to ensure that Mauritius was a signatory and
aligned with safe harbour principles and data protection and privacy rules.

A small island which needs various economic sectors to be economically viable
does not have any options. Mauritius benefits heavily from the EU. Pot luck….

> On Apr 11, 2018, at 20:01, Owen DeLong <o...@delong.com> wrote:
>
> Well, then, that makes it just as bad for MU as it is for US.
>
> Owen
>

>> On Apr 10, 2018, at 23:18 , Kris Seeburn <seebur...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:seebur...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Mauritius is signatory that’s where the safe harbour was put In place years
>> back. All BPOs in mauritius are holding EU citizen / resident data. the Data
>> Protection office will be fast tracking to look like ICO which is renamed
>> GDPR anyways.
>>
>> Kris

>>> Is Mauritius signatory to some treaty making them subject to GDPR?

>>> It’s not about EU Citizens. It’s about EU Residents. (Common misconception
>>> about GDPR).
>>>
>>> Further, unless your in a silly country that was dumb enough to sign a
>>> treaty extending EU’s legal reach into your sovereignty, such as the stupid
>>> congress of the united States, then you can offer the EU a nice big Italian
>>> sign language gesture regarding their GDPR and continue on with business as
>>> usual.
>>>
>>> Owen

Kris Seeburn
seebur...@gmail.com
www.linkedin.com/in/kseeburn/ <http://www.linkedin.com/in/kseeburn/>

"Life is a Beach, it all depends at how you look at it"