Martin van den Bemt wrote:
See inline ;)

_projectinfo.xml_

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<project id="myproject">

   <site url="http://mysite.org/";
         hostname="mysite.org"
         remotedir="/home/groups/m/my/myproject/htdocs"/>

   <vcs type="subversion"
        root="http://myvcs/";
        url="http://myvcs/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/"/>

   <bugtrack url="http://myproject.org/mybugziulla/"/>

   <mailing-lists>
        <mailing-list
             mail="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
             subscribe="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
             unsubscribe="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
             user="developer">

            <archives>
                <archive name="one" url="http://etc1"/>
                <archive name="two" url="http://etc2"/>
            </archives>

        </mailing-list>

   </mailing-lists>

   <description abstract="My project is about this.">
     This is about my project in detail.
   </description>

   <what>
        <goal>It will do this.</goal>
        <goal>It will do that.</goal>
   </what>

</project>
-- end here --

   <why>
       This project started because...
   </why>

Nice for the project page itself.

Hmmm...

   <vendor>Apache Software Foundation - apache.org</vendor>

   <licence legal="./legal">
             This software is released under the
             Apache Public License 1.1.
   </licence>

Also vendor + license seems a bit obvious, or am I missing something (I
assume incubator projects will adopt APL immidiately).

I intend to make this descriptor of more general use than in Apache only.

   <credits>
       <credit>This software includes software developed by...</credit>
   </credits>

Also nice for the project page, not for a quick overview.

Maybe it is a communication problem, so let me know if my assumption is
wrong :

We are talking about generating a centralized page (= not on the project
webpage)  with the project information specified above, so that people that
want a quick look what's out there or want to quickly find where mailinglist
of project X is, can go to ?

Yes.

If the answer to above is yes : cool and from a maven perspective the above
is what can be offered, based on the maven project.xml, and I can write a
maven plugin to generate that xml.
If you had something different in mind, please explain ;)

What you propose is simply a subset of what I envision.

With the above descriptor, we can create both a centralized page with the summaries for all projects *and* project summary pages.

Actually, I also started with the status.xml format also, to be able for all to see what's going on easily in every project, in a *centralized* way, regardless to which build-documentation system is used.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -