Ben Hyde wrote:
'community.apache.org' web site.

-1

Uh, thanks Ben. That helped a lot understanding the reasons behind your negative vote.

Several things were put on the table:

 1) potential non-asf-ralated material
 2) content imposition
 3) fact -> vote
 4) -1 without reason
 5) automatic redirection breaks existing content
 6) people.apache.org

I'll reply to all of these in this message for brevity:

1) we already have committers homepages. so either we close those down, or I don't see any reason for people starting to misbehave from this point on. my proposal is just bring coherence to something that grew out by itself.

2) my proposal contained 'suggestions' and there would be no way for anybody to force somebody to adhere to some standard. I perfectly know that all of us are lazy butts and I know all of us become overly defensive when things are 'imposed'.

But there is no imposition on a suggestion.

3) read how the title starts. "proposal" means "let's start a discussion" and "place your vote" means "tell me what you think, honest". It might sound a little arrogant to some, but I much rather prefer to cut the crap and get things done. Since this proposal will impact all committers, I wanted to hear what everybody here perceived it and so I started a proposal.

Again, I don't see the need to become defensive.

4) as a rule on the development communities where I happen to hang around, a -1 without a reason can be ignored without a reason.

Being this a much wider community, I much rather ask the *reason* why I negative vote has been placed without a reason. Ben, your turn.

5) automatic redirection was proposed a way to unify URI spaces of the current homepages. Since no content will be imposed (everybody can have whatever they want on their pages), I don't see why this should be a problem

6) since this list is the mail list representation of that web site, I thought that community.apache.org was a better name since it matches the mail list one.

Your turn, people.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>