Hi Joshua,

in case you are interested in the vote, see below...

As far as I can recall the list was pretty busy at this time and some people worried
about the signal-to-noise ratio while thinking about 650 Apache fellows plus users or as
you put it "having a mechanism to quite people who make noise".

Just an example from Andy (Andy, please don't take any offense at citing you; I
just picked your mail randomly):

<cite>
I'd like to protect the list from random posters.  If a user or someone wants to get in, then fine
let them in if they have something to contribute, but this will prevent someone posting a random
"Gee how do I use tomcat" or "here is what you should do but I have never and will
never contribute to apache in any realy sense of the word" posts that often degrade the
quality of the list. ...
</cite>

Yah.  Right.  And where would I find those archives?  One good reason for
opening a list is it allows us to have public archives.

doh, I'm just wondering why community@ shouldn't be publicly archived given the voting results:

The resulting actions will be:

1) this list will be archived and the archives pubblicly made available

I would suggest using 'EyeBrowse' web mail archive system (see http://nagoya.apache.org/)

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/SummarizeList?listId=108 unfortunately lists 0 messages :-(

cheers,
Erik

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

Here are the raw results.

                              - o -

VOTE 1:  would you like to make it possible for non-committers to read
this mail list thru a web archive?

  +1
    Sanjiva, Henry, Steven, Bert, Raphael, Stephen, Sander,
    Morgan, David, Sam, Chuck, Scott, James, Danny, Costin,
    Bill, Ignacio, David W., Robert, Andrew, Craig, Sylvain,
    Rodney, James C., Kurt, Roy, Jim, Ceki, Elena, Leo, John,
    Jeff, Ted, Carsten, Conor, Marcus, Stefan, Diana, David C.,
    Dirk, Henri, Astrid, Ovidiu, Glyn [44 votes]

   0
    Daniel, Thom, Torsen, Andre, Marc, Joe, Vadim, Ilene [8 votes]

  -1
    Ken, Paul, Justin, Brad, Greg, Sander S., Michael, Fitz,
    Rich, Erik, Peter, Martin, Rainer, Jean-frederic, Peter R.,
    Giacomo, Shane [17 votes]

                              - o -

VOTE 2:  would you like to make it possible for non-committers to fully
subscribe to this mail list?

  +1
     Sanjiva, Steven, Bert, Stephen, Morgan, Costin, Bill,
     Ignacio, Andrew, Craig, Rodney, Marcus, Diana, David C,
     Dirk [15 votes]

   0
     Sam, Scott, Jim, Conor [4 votes]

  -1
     Henry, Daniel, Raphael, Sander, Ken, David, Chuck, James,
     Danny, Paul, Justin, Thom, Brad, Greg, David W., Robert,
     Sander S., Michael, Torsen, Andre, Fitz, Sylvain, Rich,
     Erik, James C., Kurt, Roy, Ceki, Marc, Joe, Elena, Peter,
     Leo, John, Martin, Vadim, Jeff, Ted, Rainer, Carsten,
     Jean-frederic, Stefan, Peter R., Henri, Giacomo, Astrid,
     Shane, Ovidiu, Glyn, Ilene [50 votes]

                              - o -

69 ASF committers expressed their votes.

The resulting actions will be:

1) this list will be archived and the archives pubblicly made available

I would suggest using 'EyeBrowse' web mail archive system (see http://nagoya.apache.org/)

2) subscription and posting on this list will remain close to committers.

If a committer would like somebody which is not an ASF committer to be able to subscribe on this list, he/she will require the explicit vote of this list (where lazy consensus will apply) of this list.

Thank you.