Greg Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 27/02/2003 11:33:28 AM:

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:12:35AM +1100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > sourcecode under its own license. Yes, binary, but it is the best
first
> > > step and it solves a real need.
> >
> > Just to play devils advocate, what is that need, Given that there
current
> > is a repository distributing ASF binaries with their license.
> >
> > This is not a facetious comment, but a desire to explore what the need
is
> > for an ASF-blessed repository.
>
> The ASF doesn't "need" to have a repository. But it cannot operate or
> condone a repository that has or allows license violations.
Sure. I don't think anyone was suggesting that such a repository be
created.

> The ASF is primarily concerned with the original, authoritative
distribution
> of its code. For proper authenticity, security, mirroring, etc, that
> distribution has a set of requirements and policy which has been defined
by
> the infrastructure team.
The current 'distributions' are mainly in zipped source or binary form,
right?
Is there a precedent for non-zipped binaries?

> Beyond the original distribution, then it's all gravy. What facilities
do we
> want to provide our users and downstream developers? How can we simplify
> their lives? Ted points out that it is reasonable to state that the ASF
is
> creating problems (classpath and whatnot), so maybe you could even say
we
> "must" create a repos simply as a way to help recover from the mess that
we
> have made.  *shrug*
>

> It does seem like people are narrowing in on some proposals, designs,
etc. I
> might suggest it is about time to Wiki-ize the current thoughts so that
you
> have something concrete to reference in further mailing list discussion.
And
> to iterate on or to provide some alternatives.
Sounds like a plan.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au