--On Saturday, April 5, 2003 5:05 PM +0200 Leo Simons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

NNTP makes more sense than SMTP for group discussions.

No, it doesn't necessarily. NNTP was based for transient discussions rather than discussions that have lasting impact.

I read allmost all OSS mailing lists I participate in through gmane. It
kicks major ass.

Two problems I'd have with switching to NNTP exclusively:

- NNTP server admins tend to be very aggressive about deleting messages.

We could take the policy of never deleting messages off *our* news server, but that doesn't allow us to synchronize/use other NNTP hosts. That'd be the major benefit of using NNTP exclusively - people could read the lists on their local NNTP server rather than our private server.

But, if I go away for a week and come back, I could have missed messages that my local Usenet server harvested. That's not acceptable.

- Disconnected support and filtering would be non-existant

There would be no way to read the lists offline unless I install my own NNTP server locally that synchronizes. Uh, no. And, I have to rely on the filtering scheme of the news server rather than my own custom scheme. I have some lists that go to the same mailbox (namely related CVS commits) - not everyone would agree with this filtering scheme. But, it's the way I prefer it.

So, I don't really care if we offer NNTP as well as keeping ezmlm, but if you remove email access, you'll hear my loud screams. -- justin