[I'm crossposting this to community@ and party@ to catch some more eyes; please reply on [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Folks,

some time ago we already had a discussion about a possible ASF meeting
here in Germany. We also started to collect the locations of the
interested people (see CVS:committers/docs/de-meeting) but somehow other
tasks got a higher priority on my todo list and it seems that nobody
else cared to track this down any further.

Now, as it is pretty clear that there will be no ApacheCon this year
here in Europe, I'd like to pick up the thread another time and suggest
a meeting at this years [1]LinuxTag in Karlsruhe (10. - 13. July).

According to the organizing association, LinuxTag is "Europe's Number 1
Event for Linux, Open-Source and Free Software". It is accompanied by a
conference/congress with plenty of [2]lectures, workshops and even a 'coding [3]marathon'. And the best of all: it's [4]free! Just a [5]preregisteration is required...

Okay, while looking at the list of all the interested people and their
locations it appeared to me that Karlsruhe is probably one of the most
central locations we can get: it's a bit nearer to the north of Germany
than Munich (which was initially proposed the last time) and it's also
reachable for people from Switzerland and Austria.

Another interesting point is the possibility to get one of two rooms
reserved for open source developers and their projects. I'm willing to
try to get in touch with the right people @ LinuxTag if there is enough
interest for a meeting.

Note, that there are also some ASF related speakers at LinuxTag including Ken Coar, Rasmus Lerdorf and Christian Egli from Lenya, a Cocoon subproject currently under incubation (schedule and links see below). Perhaps they are also interested and can spend some time on a meeting/party... Ken, Rasmus, Christian? Anyone around here?

Well, if there is enough interest for this little happening we should decide some things as soon as possible; the time is short, I know:
- who: are there enough people to organize something?
- when: possible dates are 10. - 13. July ?
- where: can we get a room? party location at evening?
wasn't there somebody from Karlsruhe around last time?

Okay, I'd also like to ping committers@ to ensure that we get the most possible visibility.

So, that's it for now... open for discussion... opinions... ?

Cheers,
Erik

BTW, I'll be there at 12. July and maybe I can also make it one day earlier.

-- References/Links:

[1] http://www.linuxtag.org/2003/en/index.html
[2] http://www.linuxtag.org/2003/en/conferences/program.html
[3] http://www.linuxtag.org/2003/en/expo/marathon.html
[4] http://www.linuxtag.org/2003/en/conferences/free.html
[5] http://www.linuxtag.org/2003/en/expo/prereg.html

-- ASF-related sessions I spotted so far:

11.07.
------
Seamless Content Management using Cocoon and Openoffice.org
Christian Egli, wyona.org
http://www.linuxtag.org/2003/en/conferences/talk.xsp?id=42

Do you PHP?
Rasmus Lerdorf, Yahoo!