Ben Laurie wrote, On 26/06/2003 18.54:
Presumably the idea behind unit testing is that it reduces the time
spent chasing bugs.

Mostly in OS it reduces time spent *re*chasing bugs ;-)

If the overall effect is not less developer time
used per "unit of functionality", then I have to wonder what the point is.

Making a fix remain so. I can't remember how many times, without unit testing, the same error kept coming back.

In OS it's even more necessary, as committers come and go... it's a way of writing down knowledge and keeping it there with the code.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -