On 26/6/03 3:50, "Stefano Mazzocchi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> note that for apache 1.3.x, JNI would have been hard because of the
> multi-process environment, but for apache 2.0, a JNI-based mod_java is
> perfectly valid architecturarely, but nobody works on it because of this
> "sin" syndrome.

I'm not working on it, but not for a "sin" syndrome... I'm not working on it
because although feasible, it would cripple HTTPD.

The Worker-MPM (unix multi-threaded), is multi-threaded/multi-process, not
because something is wrong, but because it's better to have several
processes with several threads running all together, so that if one process
dies, you have still some more able to serve requests while the first one
respawns, but at the same time, requests are served by threads, which are
more light-weight than processes (thank you Ryan Bloom/David Reid for
showing me the light).

Now, if we put a JVM inside the Apache process scope, we end up with the
same problem we had with Apache 1.3, how in the world am I going to be able
to share a session between a JVM inside a multithreaded process A and the
clone of that same JVM inside another multithreaded process B ????

Simple! :-)

Best way of doing things? Writing a connector for the servlet container
using JNI that uses unix sockets, named pipes, or something which is
actually faster than the usual TCP socket we use between Java and Apache,
but embedding a JVM inside the Apache process space is a big nono...

You can do it under Windows, though, as the Win32 MPM is single-process,
multi-threaded (but windows sucks, I don't use it, and neither should you).

    Pier