Niclas Hedhman wrote:

Question; Should Open Source be Open Participation?

I am sure that the upper-tier of ASF would shiver at the thought that hordes of people can gain direct access to the repositories. They/we will dust of the same arguments of why Wiki won't work. But it does. Why? Because *most* people *want* it to work.

i wrote about some of the reasons behind gated communities, and possible ways to address some of their issues, here:

http://www.advogato.org/article/657.html

might be tangentially interesting to the current discussion.

also, with floss turning into a fashionable research area, there is a pile of papers that look into reputation etc:

http://mit.oscom.org/search/lucene?queryString=reputation
http://mit.oscom.org/search/lucene?queryString=review
http://mit.oscom.org/search/lucene?queryString=httpd

-gregor