The Jini community is in the mix of going Open Source and I would like to
influence Sun to choose the ASL2.0. However,

<quote>
Are there other license possibilities? Sure. The Apache 2.0 license I
mentioned is one:
    http://apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
Against our desired characteristics, it's failing is that the Free
Software Foundation (creator of the GPL) says it isn't GPL
compatible. We feel pretty strongly that we want a GPL compatible
license, and we think the patent non-assertion promise coupled with
the MIT license will be acceptable those who would otherwise prefer
the Apache 2.0 license.
</quote>

So how is it? Is ASL2.0 GPL compatible or is it not?

If it is NOT, then there are a lot of swamp out there in the Linux world,
where Apache products are used to create larger apps which are GPLed.

Please note the direction here... IOW,  Can I re-license an ASL2.0 product
under the GPL??
I thought I could. Why does Sun quote FSF saying I can't do that?

Does anyone know, and preferably have any authorative-like links ??

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.dpml.net       /