Building a community for a small project is indeed hard work.

Are there any other projects in the ASF that benefit from your
existence? That is are there any projects that depend on your code?

If there is then you might consider approaching those project
communities and indicating that you are having problems getting
releases out. Invite people from that PMC to join your own PMC so that
they can do IP reviews on our releases and continue to use the code.

If there are no direct dependencies are there any projects in a
related space? You might find people willing to help out with IP
reviews.

As Luciano says having regular releases is important to building
community. Therefore I suggest your first point of focus should be on
ensuring you have people willing and able to help you get releases
out. After that you can start focussing on attracting new
contributors.

Ross