i imagine this mail2forum provides some sort of "[Subforum]"-tag before each e-mail. To answer to a thread, simply answer the last mail of that thread. To start a new topic, just write "[Subforum] New Topic Name" as Subject of the mail. At least i would implement it this way. And if it isn't so, we could simply write ourselves something like that. I mean: we have plenty of developers in here.

How do you make sure that the [Subforum] really exists when users type a message? How do they remember the list of tags? Does the sender get back a notice and has to send it again?

This not only allow to have mailing list AND forum, but also to let everybody choose how they want to interact.

Well, they can choose anyway even if both systems are not connected.

My latest conclusions:
* the democratic approach would be to vote for either of both (inducing a lot of political discussions where people try to convince each other). * the (darwinistic) market oriented approach is to simply offer both - more or less connected and useage patterns will decide