I think the only caveat to this for the Freerunner is the lack of datasheet from SMedia for the GPU which makes 3D impossible. Rather unfortunate.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_GTA02_Hardware#Graphics.2F3D_Acceleration

http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-April/014709.html
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Community_Updates#SMedia_3362_Documentation_.26_OpenGL_ES_Drivers

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen wrote:
OM is doing some very important things. The thing which is most important
to me, is if they can make all HW producers write their drivers in GPL and
provide all the specification needed for any usage of their HW.

I really want a Linux enabled phone powered by FOSS. OM are helping me
by providing HW and FOSS SW that works together. It is our job to port OM
to other devices (such as Neonode N2) and to write good SW.